Thursday, December 28, 2006

If there was a university where I could major in motherhood I would have gone there and learned. If there was a compass or any sort of gadget that would help me navigate the ocean of parenthood I could have bought a roomful. Seriously, it is no easy task.

I read several books in search for guidelines in child-rearing and to give me a sense of framework. They have been very handy yet at times like many others I had to rely on "by-guess" and "by-golly"! That's why the clear fact still remains... a lot of unintentional mistakes have been passed on from generation to generation.

All along I was cradling these notions on my son's upbringing. Since ARI eats all kinds of vegetable and is not very much interested on sweets...since he learned his alphabet few months before he turned two...since he can run from our house all the way to the Han riverside...I thought he was in the proper direction of positive growth. I thought it was good enough.

Until I have started reading the book " YOUR CHILD'S SELF-ESTEEM" . It's the greatest book ever written. I learned that self-esteem is the overall judgement of himself. It is his attitude toward himself and that the feeling of self-worth forms the core of his personality and determines how he fares in life.

I am only half-way through the book but I already see my role in a different light. It's like a beautiful new window has just been opened to me. I feel more confident, relaxed and much more understanding.

No comments: